Monday, February 3, 2014

Epic Recipe Fail: Overnight French Toast Casserole


Everyone has those stories on their blogs about recipes that they have that they make every single week or that they bring out, with much fanfare, every holiday season much to the delight of their friends and family.

This is NOT one of those stories.

It started with my decision to make breakfast ahead of time, so that a warm meal might be had that did not include the terms "oatmeal" or "Crock Pot".  I got an idea to make a french toast casserole thinking to myself, "How hard can this possibly be?"

Well, let me tell you, apparently it was above my skill set because my attempt at making this wonderful casserole turned out to be a super dud.

Super.  With a capital "S".

It all started out fine.  I made up the egg mixture with the milk and the cinnamon and vanilla.  I was feeling rather smart.  It looked good, it smelled good, and so I happily wrapped it in plastic and stuck it snugly in the fridge to get soaked up and delicious for the oven the next morning.


When I got up the next day, I couldn't decide how long to bake it or how high of a temp to bake it at.  I went online and found a recipe which called for 375 degrees for 45 minutes.  "O.K.", I thought, "in it goes!"

Forty five minutes later, I pulled it out of the oven.  This after I had been talking it up to my family about how delicious it was going to be and how much they would enjoy this fruit of my labor.


Does it look a little dark to you?  It should.  It looked plenty dark when I was standing here looking at it!

What I had, in that pan, amounted to nothing more than a cinnamon flavored crouton.  It. Was. Terrible.  Absolutely terrible.

And what do you do with a terrible meal?  This:


Yup.  Ended up pitching the ENTIRE thing, it was that bad.  ALL THOSE WASTED INGREDIENTS.  It makes me sad just looking at this picture.

I ended up making eggs for my family.  Nothing fancy, but I knew I couldn't completely mess that up.  I have since scratched this up to a learning experience.  But, oh, was I sooooo disappointed when it happened.

Sigh.

Have you ever had an epic recipe fail?  Were you able to salvage any of it, or did yours end up with the same demise mine met?

None of us is perfect, right?

Here's to making mistakes and trying again!

T

1 comment:

  1. I have had to toss pans away from burning food. I hav also undercooked meat when having company for dinner...that really awkward moment. Next time cover it for the first half hour. Idk how much egg/milk mixture ypu had, but its real moist. I also have sliced appke in bottom of pan when i do it. And next time... use the croutons!! Or rebake to a bread pudding. :) love you

    ReplyDelete